Saving the serial

Topics: Help & Support
Jan 2, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Hello!
I really love this library, I was looking for something like this and this is really great!
I would like your opinion, i will use it in a proyect i have, but i'm thinking how to save the serial so i can check it each time the app start and initianlize the features, do you think a binary file is the best choice?

Thanks for all!!
Regards,
Paúl

Coordinator
Jan 3, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Edited Jan 3, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Hi Paúl,

Thank you for contacting me! :)

There are several options you might want to see, each of these having different benefits:

• store in the registry - stored as a key rather than as a file
  • store as an open file - simple, loads quickly
  • store as an encrypted file - simple, secure

I think the best, and in the same time performance-saving solution would be to just store the key in a single file. It would make it better, as you mentioned, to save it as not human readable file, i.e. a binary file, or even to encrypt it using a strong encryption algorithm, but because all features are stored inside the serial key, it is difficult to change any features in the file by manipulating some characters.

If your app is going to have a community license, i.e. ability to use the same key on several machines within a network of users, or if it going to be used on public computers, where almost everyone can see the key, then I strongly recommend you to store the key in an encrypted file, using for instance AES,

The reason why just storing a serial key in a file is good is because it will be loading quicker, so the users will not need to wait longer.

I hope I were able to answer your question properly, and if not, simply reply to this thread!

Thank you for using SKGL,

Regards,

Artem

P.S. If you need any code-snippet, please reply! :)