This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Maximal Amount of Keys

Topics: Help & Support
Feb 18, 2014 at 8:03 PM
Hey,

I'd love to know how many different keys you can generate with this library?

Yours sincerely,
Stefan Fabian
Feb 19, 2014 at 9:22 PM
Edited Feb 19, 2014 at 9:26 PM
Hi Stefan Fabian,

Thank you for your question! It is 99999 (10^5-1) keys.

Sincerely,
Artem
Feb 20, 2014 at 2:44 AM
Thank you for your fast response.
Seems a little low for me. I know that should suffice in most cases but shouldn't it be a number that's way to high to ever reach?
And the secret phase seems a little insecure to me.
If you have to store the secret phase in you application in order to validate it offline anyone could just generate a key with it.
Couldn't the algorithm be modified in order to support public and private keys/passwords for generating/validating?

It would be great if you could just consider this in the next update.

PS: Thank you so much for working on this project and for sharing it with everyone :)
Mar 3, 2014 at 8:46 PM
Sorry for not answering your question for a long time.
Seems a little low for me. I know that should suffice in most cases but shouldn't it be a number that's way to high to ever reach?
If you want to increase the number of possible keys, you would need to decrease other things like the no. of features or the checksum (see here). If you need even more keys, you can simply have the entire key representing an ID and in meanwhile store the remaining information in a database on a server.
And the secret phase seems a little insecure to me.
If you have to store the secret phase in you application in order to validate it offline anyone could just generate a key with it.
Couldn't the algorithm be modified in order to support public and private keys/passwords for generating/validating?
This has been brought several times and I have been trying out different ways. It will be done sometime, but in the nearest months (Mars-May) I won't be able to work that much on it. :( But as you said, it is possible, specially by using Elliptic key cryptography. At this point, the library to some extent also relies on honest end users and is a way of allowing people to continue being so! :)