This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Purpose of Multiple Keys

Topics: Help & Support
Oct 11, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Hi there.
Great piece of work here! Well done!

I'm actually using this in my software as of a few days ago, and it's one of the most simplest implementations I've done, so thank you for saving so much time of mine!

Could you please enlighten me, on how I would use multiple keys (or even multiple unique keys). I'm a bit confused on how it would help.
(I'm storing my keys in the registry).
If I gave a customer, 10 keys, which are all NOT machine locked (obviously), they could install my software on 100 computers, just using 1 single key, as it's not locked to the machine right?
Or would I have to code in a mechanism which would CHECK if a Key is already USED? (such as storing in a central database).

Thank you.
-Kushal.
Coordinator
Nov 3, 2014 at 1:41 PM
Hi Kushal,

Sorry for such a late reply. I did not see your message until now.

You're right, it's possible to give a customer one key as it will work on several machine. When using SKGL only, there is not much use of multiple keys that are given to one customer, unless you lock each key to a particular machine. Technically, you could have one static key that you give to every customer (or a set of static keys) However, once you have an online validatiotion system, multiple keys are useful, since you can at any time block a key from being used, while you still want the other keys to be valid.

In another system I am currently working on, there is an option to generate one key that works on a given amount of computers and also the ability to block keys. It's basically an centralized server that connects all your application together and thus gives you a lot more control than SKGL normally would. Please check it out! :)
Please let me know if you have any questions!

Sincerley,
Artem