30 Day Licensing

Topics: Help & Support
Nov 13, 2014 at 6:21 AM
Hello,
First of all, thank you so much for taking time to write this library. Sorry for a novice question but I wanted to know how can I make a 30 day trial version with this? Basically, I want the users to try out the software for 30 days and if they insert the key, I want the software to be unlocked. How do I do this? Do i need to save the timestamp of installation date in registry and check it on my own? Or does this library provide some solution to that? Thanks again for your help.
Coordinator
Nov 14, 2014 at 12:47 PM
Hi,

I think that the problem you are describing is how to make sure that the client user uses the trial version only once. Let me describe some possible solutions:
  • Once the user installs the application, a new trial key is generated and a file/registry key is saved somewhere on the computer. This is very easy to implement, but isn't that secure.
  • You can also manually generate trial keys to your users, or create a web application that generates trial keys for you (i.e. they get a trial key sent by email). This is better than the previous solution, because you get more control over your application.
It's usually a good idea to keep the trial version of you software with some limitations, especially if you use the first solution. Also, before you implement SKGL API, please go through https://skgl.codeplex.com/documentation#security. There you can find some code that will allow you to check so that the user hasn't changed the local time.

(Finally, if you want to allow functionality like key/trial activation, please take a look at https://serialkeymanager.com/. This solution is in quotation marks because Serial Key Manager is a Web API, and therefore subscription based. It's basically an extension of SKGL API)

I hope I was able to answer your question. Please let me know if you have any questions about either SKGL API or Serial Key Manager!

/Artem
Nov 26, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Thanks so much Artem for your reply. Validating against web is not an options, and I only need basic security, so I am trying out the first option you suggested. I will keep the forum updated how my progress goes. Thanks again. ps - Really really appreciate your detailed reply.